2008/03/14

Thanks, Frank

I have more admiration than I can express for this man, for his work, and for his point of view. As proof, I've put his new book on hold at Powell's, and I will go and put down my own cold hard cash for it. This is one I will own.

Frank Schaeffer on BookTV
This is a genial, gentle, quiet "book store" appearance. When he reads from the book's introduction he substitutes the words "expletive deleted" for the language that was in the lovely little emails he received from some "Christian" people. His friends and neighbors are in the audience.

His website
Links, books, news, etc. There is a link to the Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School in the 'Crossroads of Religion and Politics' series at the top of the page right now. Don't listen to this talk if there are kids in the room who are still young enough not to understand the art of Contextualizing. The bad language is in this speech. But DO watch the speech. And then thank the God who loves us all that this man has had the courage and the ability to bring to the world a Francis Schaeffer with hard-working feet of clay and an Edith Schaeffer who has danced to the music of the piano bar in her old age.
Addendum: Here is the link to the speech he refers to in this presentation. I wrote and asked him for it.

The riotously funny Calvin Becker trilogy
(Thanks, Douglas. You've introduced me to Calvin Becker, Teresa of Avila, and all the other saints in the Communion thereof. One day I'll take my chance to do something wonderful for you.) There's nothing funnier in the universe than the Gospel Walnut.

His interview with Ink Q&A at Powell's City of Books
The top part of it is the same as his other book tour stops. But this excerpt is from the part unique to Powell's. His answer to "best breakfast" is so beautiful it makes me want to weep.

Describe the best breakfast of your life.
Champagne and caviar shared with my wife Genie while we were in bed (sometime in the 1970s). We were in our early twenties and my art teacher had advised us on the menu, gave us the champagne, the caviar and told me to try it for breakfast. The fact that he had once worked as a cameraman for the Nazis didn't spoil the meal. Genie is beautiful and was naked. The mountains in the background were themselves: the Rhone Valley with its patchwork of fields, orchards, roads and villages miles below, up to the flower-studded hayfields and steep forest-clad hills behind our village topped off by the peaks towering over everything. The champagne was dry, and Genie tasted like caviar when I kissed her.

What is your idea of absolute happiness?
Cooking for my children and grandchildren and seeing them gathered at our table.


1 comment:

Douglas Bienert said...

The scary thing is, I think I actually MADE a gospel walnut at vacation Bible school, now that I think about it! I also remember making one of those books that only had colours on each page, so you could witness to people. I remember likening the page with silver on it. I think I substituted a piece of tin foil for white. Really, what could be better than white? Unbeknownst to me at the time, I was probably searching for a thurible!