2007/08/16

Only wonder

"Concepts create idols.
Only wonder understands anything."
Saint Gregory of Nyssa

I just heard this quote on Ancient Faith Radio (and I've added this site to my links over in the right-hand column on the front page of this blog). I've been listening to this station for most of the morning, and my soul feels as if it's had a chiropractic adjustment and a deep massage.

The Orthodox have always felt much more free to declare "it's a mystery" and to preserve the humility of a child when they come to the Almighty. Since my own path has crossed and re-crossed the dogmatic lines of Dogmatic Theology in the West in so many ways, this perspective of wonder and mystery is a great, detoxifying antidote. It is not wrong to seek God - it is just pompous to declare that we have defined Him.

No comments: