2008/04/21

Useful calculator



I might just love it because I found a Venn Diagram of it ... but I don't think that's it. Or, I might love it because it says I'll live as long as I've always said I'll live. But that's not it either. I love it because science has finally found cultural reality and the two have produced an extremely useful love child.

The Science Behind Blue Zones

For the past five years, I’ve been taking teams of scientists to five pockets around the world where people live the longest, healthiest lives. These are called the Blue Zones.

In Sardinia Italy, for example, we found a Bronze-Age mountain culture that has, proportionally, 20 times as many 100-year-olds as the United States does. Their secret: wine with staggering levels of antioxidants and a tradition of celebrating old age.

Last year, our team discovered a new Blue Zone in Northern Costa Rica where adults have the longest life expectancy in the world. Our scientists found eight factors that make this region one of the longest-lived in the world.

Our work has been funded by National Geographic and the National Institutes on Aging, and our findings have appeared on Good Morning America, Anderson Cooper 360 and the ABC Nightly News.

No comments: