2007/09/19

"I am tomorrow, or some future day, what I establish today. I am today what I established yesterday or some previous day."
James Joyce

The storms of midlife emotional upheaval have passed, and I am myself again today. The remains of the storm are lying about on my internal beach, and my clouds are gorgeous because only a storm can do that to a sky. And I can breathe again.

Today I can remember that without the passage of time, we would be stuck forever in a Bill Murray Groundhog Day, and we would never move into our futures - we would never find heaven. And today I can remember that without a whole stack of yesterdays, today would not be what it is. I can say thank you for the fact of time passing. Nothing is wasted. It all matters.

Today I also find that I am hoping that as surely as a girl gets over being a teenager, a woman will get over being in her forties. Good golly, these midlife storms are violent!

No comments: