2009/12/01

Please explain it, Mr. President. I'm listening.

For the first time since she joined the Army, I am worried about my soldier as a soldier. This is all starting to sound very South Asian ... very VyetNaamish ... very "One, two, three, four"ish ... I'm only barely old enough to remember the era, but I'm old enough to put things together and I'm old enough to remember the sound of national screams of pain and outrage and bereavement and disillusion.

I'm not a hippie. I'm too young, for one thing, and I'm not quite crunchy enough for another. I believe in a greater good worth dying for - and worth living for. We are proud of our soldier and the ideals that caused her to enlist. But now I'm worried.I'll be listening tonight. I want to hear the reasoning. And I want for my daughter what she wants for herself -- I want her to come home intact as a human being, and not just in body. It's not pretty over there. Most reg'lr 'mericans would be horrified at the daily goings on, and I'm not going to elaborate here because it's not fair to my soldier and it's not the whole picture either. But descriptions like "cockup" and "fubar" come to mind. Thirty thousand more soldiers?
O LORD God of Hosts, stretch forth, we pray thee, thine almighty arm to strengthen and protect the soldiers of our country. Support them in the day of battle, and in the time of peace keep them safe from all evil; endue them with courage and loyalty; and grant that in all things they may serve without reproach; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

I was disappointed that Obama seemingly bowed to pressure. I was hoping he would start bringing troops home rather than send more.