2009/09/10


This is a "stink bug."

I hate stink bugs.

I just looked for a picture of the stupid, nasty, rotten, invasive, pesky, wretched stink bug, and found this.

ITHACA, N.Y. -- Wanted, dead or alive: the brown-marmorated stink bug.

"We are asking homeowners in the Pacific Northwest to be on the lookout for these bugs, and if they think they have found any, to collect them and send to me or to take a digital image to e-mail to me," says E. Richard Hoebeke, a Cornell University senior extension associate in entomology.

This invasive pest (Pentatomidae: Halyomorpha halys) -- also known as the East Asian stink bug or yellow-brown stink bug -- has been infesting urban areas in four mid-Atlantic states. It poses a threat to apples, pears, peaches, figs, mulberries, citrus, persimmon and soy beans.

I see. So ... this is dated 2004. Should I still collect and send them? Should I buy stock in the delivery company first? We have a lot of these things. About five so far today in this room. I hate them.