2010/08/12

50 Years Ago -- a $50 Bet -- and a story using 50 words! I do! I like Green Eggs and Ham!


I just found out about this! Did you know?

According to WKRC...

It was 50 years ago today that a publisher's bet turned into a children's classic.

Bennett Cerf bet Theodor Geisel, also known as Dr. Seuss, 50 dollars that he couldn't write a book using only 50 words.

The result of the bet... Doctor Seuss's "Green Eggs and Ham."

"I do not like green eggs and ham, I do not like them Sam I am."

By the way, of the 50 words in the book, 49 of them are mono-syllabic.

The one exception is the word: 'anywhere'.

If you can't recall all the other words in "Green Eggs and Ham", here's the list:

1 comment:

Sherri Williams said...

That is really funny and very interesting!

Thanks for visiting my blog today and for your comment. I'm with Deanna, it's nice to know we're not alone.